According to the United States Library of Medicine, bedsores (also referred to as pressure sores and pressure ulcers) are skin injuries that happen when pressure is applied to the skin over a long period of time. Bedsores are common in the elderly population, specifically amongst bedridden older people who reside in a nursing home or assisted living facility. A human being’s body pressure is more than enough to cause a bedsore if the person is in the same physical position for too long.
Pressure ulcers among nursing home residents may be an indication that your loved one is not being properly rotated in their bed and may be an indication of deeper neglect. If your loved one displays bedsores or other signs of neglect, call our team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 201-3999 for a discussion about what you should do next.
Bedsores Are a Warning Sign of Neglect
When your loved one develops a bedsore, it is fair to assume that they are not being properly rotated within the places where they spend most of their time, such as a bed or chair. Not properly rotating an elderly resident of a nursing home facility is a form of neglect, but it is not the only one.
Keep your eyes out for other possible indications that your loved one is being neglected, such as:
- A disheveled appearance, such as messy clothes that do not appear clean and hair that is uncombed.
- Poor personal hygiene, such as persistent body odor, defecation on oneself, untrimmed nails, and any other indication that regular cleaning is not being conducted.
- Weight loss, which could indicate that your loved one is not receiving the nutrition that they need.
The line between abuse and neglect can be quite thin, and if a caretaker or entire nursing home or living facility staff has neglected your loved one, the possibility that they could abuse them is not out of the question.
Possible Signs of Abuse in the Elderly Population
Some caretakers see the elderly as targets for their abuse, and you must pay keen attention to any signs that may indicate the presence of abuse. Some of the possible signs that your loved one is experiencing elder abuse include:
- Changes in mood, such as becoming withdrawn.
- Not participating in activities that they once enjoyed.
- The presence of cuts, bruises, scrapes, burns, and other signs of physical trauma.
- Signs of fear and anxiety, especially recoiling when you reach out to touch them.
- Showing signs of sleeplessness, which may be due to abuse-induced anxiety.
You may be the only person that can protect your loved one from mistreatment, whether it is abuse, neglect, or exploitation. If you suspect that something is not right with your loved one and that some form of mistreatment may be to blame, call law enforcement. Next, call a law firm that has a Cicero bedsores lawyer; the legal team can help you determine your next step.
For a free legal consultation with a bedsores lawyer serving Cicero, call 800-201-3999
A Cicero Bedsores Lawyer Will Help You Pursue Compensation
Few people would be advised to fight a nursing home abuse claim without the help of a Cicero bedsores lawyer. Many personal injury lawyers have brought many claims involving abuse or neglect of the elderly, and such experience can be a great help when you are pursuing justice for your loved one.
Some of the responsibilities of your Cicero bedsores lawyer is to:
- Speak with you and your loved one in person or over the phone to get a complete picture of the abuse or neglect that has occurred.
- File your case as soon as relevant documents are ready to ensure that you reach a conclusion to your case as soon as possible.
- Reach out to the counsel for the defendant or defendants in your case to see if they are offering any settlements.
- Collect any available evidence that abuse or neglect has occurred, such as internal nursing home video footage.
- Organize evidence already in your possession, such as photographs and medical records of injuries that your loved one sustained while living in a nursing home.
- Speaking with any witnesses to abuse or neglect, including family members who can testify to changes in your loved one’s mood, the presence of physical injuries, and other indications of mistreatment.
- Completing every step necessary to complete your case, whether the resolution is a judgement or settlement.
- Defending your rights throughout the entire legal process.
Your lawyer’s overarching goal is to prove that the defendants in your case contributed to your loved one’s mistreatment. Defendants may be one or more individual caretakers, administrators at the nursing home, or any number of other people. Call our team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 201-3999 for a free consultation about your case.
Call a Cicero Bedsores Attorney Today
Do not wait to call a lawyer, as there may be a statute of limitations that impacts your timeframe for bringing legal action. You should call a Cicero bedsores lawyer regardless of how much time has passed since you discovered that your loved one suffered mistreatment. Often there are exceptions to these statutes of limitations.
Cicero Bedsores Lawyer Near Me 800-201-3999
Possible Compensation from an Elderly Mistreatment Claim
Every case of mistreatment is unique, and the possible damages that could be awarded in your case will depend on the specifics of your loved one’s mistreatment. With that in mind, some possible forms of compensation include coverage for:
- The cost of your loved one’s stay at the nursing home where they endured mistreatment.
- Any medical costs that stemmed from the abuse, neglect, or exploitation of your loved one.
- Pain and suffering that your loved one has endured by their caretakers, as this sort of damage is often extensive in elderly abuse cases.
- Punitive damages against the person or people who perpetrated the neglect or mistreatment.
- Punitive damages against the facility where the abuse occurred, as it is ultimately the responsibility of higher-ups to keep all residents safe from this kind of mistreatment.
Your loved one may be entitled to collect additional compensation depending on the details of their case. A Cicero bedsores lawyer can give you greater insight into the compensation that your loved one may be entitled to.
Call Our Team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Today
We want to ensure that your loved one receives the justice that they deserve for the hardship that they have endured. Call our team today at (800) 201-3999 to discuss your case at no cost. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay nothing unless we secure a judgement or settlement for you.